Frequently Asked Questions


Is there child care at ASU? Especially infant care?

There are numerous programs for children on the Tempe campus. They vary in the ages they serve and the scheduling they offer. No care for children birth to 1 year of age is available on the Tempe campus. General information on all campus programs may be obtained through ASU's Family Resources or by contacting the program directly. All programs maintain their own waiting lists and policies vary by program. Fees also vary, depending on the age of the child and scheduling option used.

How do I get on a waiting list for a childcare service?

Each on-campus program for children maintains their own waiting list and policies vary. First, save yourself time by finding out which program best meets the needs of your family. Contact ASU Family Resources for general information about the various programs available.

What is available during the summer for my school-age child or teenager?

Arizona State University offers a wide range of programs for children and youth each summer. Programs can be for a targeted audience, for example, historically underrepresented minority students entering grades 7-9. Due to limited funding, programs may not be offered each summer and programs may be held on ASU property, but may be provided by an off-campus organization or company.

For further information, visit the ASU Summer Programs website.

What kind of financial assistance is available to help me pay for child care?

Student Parents
  • The Sun Devil Child Care Subsidy was created to support ASU student parents in obtaining their degree. The Graduate and Professional Student Association and Undergraduate Student Governments fund the program.
  • If you receive financial aid, discuss your child care costs with the Student Financial Assistance office to determine if your child care costs can be covered. 
  • Contact the Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) Child Care office
  • CCAMPIS Child Care Subsidy - The intent of this subsidy is to support low-income, Pell eligible undergraduate student parents in obtaining their degree. The U.S. Department of Education provides funding for this program.
  • The Higher Education Child Care Subsidy for Education and Nursing Majors - The intent of this subsidy is to support low-income undergraduate student parents in obtaining their teaching and nursing degrees.  This pilot is a partnership with the Arizona Department of Economic Security.

Faculty and Staff
Please visit the ASU Human Resources web site for information about Flexible Spending Accounts to save on dependent care expenses. In addition, this website provides information on those childcare facilities in the valley that provide discounts to university employees. Contact ASU Family Resources or your childcare provider for further information.

Is there drop-in childcare available on campus?

No. It is important to note that drop-in care is different from part time care. Drop in care is care that is not on a regularly scheduled basis. Not only is there a high demand for the on-campus programs, but most importantly, low-ratios and small group sizes offered by these programs do not permit drop-in options. Contact ASU Family Resources for information on drop in child care available off campus.

I am planning on breastfeeding when I return to ASU after the birth of my child. What services are available to assist me?

Please visit the Breastfeeding Support page.

As a new parent, what resources are available to me?

For information on campus wide programs, policies and services available, please refer to the Student Parent Guide

Families may have used their Arizona Parent Kit for information and resources about their child’s development and health but may have additional questions or need some more help.

Birth to Five Helpline

Call 877-705-KIDS (5437) for Free Child Development Support

For questions about dealing with tantrums, or anything else, ask the Birth to Five Helpline. Call toll-free or submit a question via their website and talk to child development specialists—it’s free.  The Birth to Five Helpline is available for all families with young children looking for the latest child development information from experts in the field. Professionals may also take advantage of this free service.  Staffed by early childhood development specialists, registered nurses, disabilities specialists, early literacy specialists, and mental health counselors, the Helpline provides a toll-free number for all Arizona families with young children, and parents-to-be, to call with questions or concerns about their infants, toddlers and preschoolers.

The First Things First Family Resource Centers can assist you, as a parent, with the tools you need to support the learning and healthy development of your child.

What do I do when my childcare provider cannot provide care (for example, when my child is sick)?

Student Parents:
ASU Family Resources has information about agencies in the community that provide Emergency Child Care services. In addition, it is always a good idea to plan for back up care should your primary child care arrangements fall through (example: illness and/or calendar conflicts).

Faculty and Staff:
Sick leave may be used only when an employee is absent due to illness or communicable disease within the employee's immediate family, established household, or in situations that place primary responsibility for care on the employee.

Immediate Family is defined as: parent, parent-in-law, brother, sister, spouse, child, grandparent, and any other person who is a member of the employee's established household. If sick leave is not an option, ASU Family Resources has information about agencies in the community that provide Emergency Child Care services. In addition, it is always a good idea to plan for back up care should your primary child care arrangements fall through (example: illness and/or calendar conflicts).