Outstanding programs, exceptional services, dynamic people and unlimited opportunities.
When the MU first opened its doors in 1956, the facility offered 109,000 square feet accommodating the nearly 6,000 enrolled students. A plaque near the north entrance doorway lists the major donors who contributed to the initial construction. ASU chose the name "Memorial Union" to serve as a living memorial for those who have courageously served our country in the military services. In remembrance of the building's first director, Cecelia Scoular, the study lounge located on the main level was named in her honor.
Since its opening, the MU has undergone a number of renovation projects as well as several additions to the original structure. Today the building totals about 254,000 square feet and serves a growing student body averaging 75,000.
Arizona State University Memorial Union sets a high standard of excellence for its outstanding programs, exceptional services, dynamic people and unlimited opportunities. The MU serves as many as 23,000 students, faculty, staff and community partners each day, and is dedicated to meeting the needs of the campus community.
Our core values
In our steady pursuit of this mission, the MU is inspired by the following core values:
- Creating Community – we are devoted to nurturing an inviting, accessible, and attractive setting where people can gather and engage.
- Celebrating Diversity – we strive to provide an environment that fosters, appreciates, and values inclusion and diversity.
- Promoting and Achieving Excellence – we are focused on delivering the highest level of customer satisfaction through our quality services, outstanding programs and welcoming sense of community.
- Embracing History and Traditions – we respect and hold true to the revered traditions that are ASU.
- Fostering Human Development – we look to provide opportunities for students, staff, and the greater public to participate and develop their knowledge and capabilities.
The Role of the College Union
Adopted by the Association of College Unions International (ACUI) in 2018.
The college union advances a sense of community, unifying the institution by embracing the diversity of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. We bolster the educational mission of the institution and the development of students as lifelong learners by delivering an array of cultural, educational, social, and recreational programs, services, and facilities.
By any form or name, we serve as the heart of the campus community and create a welcoming environment by:
- Operating as a student-centered organization that engages in shared decision making and holistic development through employment
- Advocating for inclusivity and equity, fostering respect, and affirming the identities of all individuals.
- Educating students in leadership and social responsibility and offering firsthand experiences in global citizenship.
- Providing gathering spaces to encourage formal and informal community interactions that build meaningful relationships.
Traditionally considered the living room, the college union enhances the student experience and cultivates an enduring connection to the institution.