SMART Actions For Spring Break
It is no secret that health contributes to academic success. Yet, academic, work, social and personal demands can be overwhelming, undoing our efforts to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Spring Break provides an excellent opportunity to recommit to wellness through the following SMART actions. Create a SMART action plan for Spring Break, download the SMART Actions handout.
Social – Plan the best experience by being proactive
- Get enthusiastic consent before each sexual act.
- Use a condom or other barrier if you choose to have sex.
- Use a designated driver if you choose to drink.
- Be an active and effective bystander when something is not right.
- Avoid drinking a lot of alcohol in a short amount of time.
- Alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages if you choose to drink.
- Do not feel pressured to go out if you do not want to or have a busy day ahead of you.
- Learn more about sexual consent, healthy relationships and sexual health.
- Learn more about alcohol and other drugs.
MEALS – Fuel your brain and rejuvenate your body
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids. Men should consume about 3 liters a day or more (13 cups), and women should consume 2.2 liters a day (9 cups).
- Eat a fruit or vegetable with every meal. Choose produce from different color groups to get a variety of nutrients.
- Choose whole grains for the majority of your bread, cereal and grain foods.
- Support your nutrition needs by eating a variety of nutrient dense foods from all the food groups daily.
- Schedule and plan regular meals and snacks about every 3-4 hours.
- Take a daily multivitamin if needed.
- Learn tips to improve your eating style.
ACTIVITIES – Enhance your strength, energy and vitality
- Incorporate physical activity into your daily routine.
- Multi-task during your workout: enjoy a movie, music or book, keep up on Facebook and other activities.
- Take active study breaks. Walk, dance, stretch, run.
- Be active in ways that you enjoy.
- Buddy-up or go it alone—do what works best for you.
- Mix it up! Your best results come from incorporating a variety of activities including strength training, flexibility and cardiovascular exercise.
- Learn ways to develop fitness and active living habits.
REJUVENATE – Refresh and re-center your focus
- Take time out to relax daily.
- Sleep 7 to 9 hours a night so you feel rested.
- Relax in ways that work for you to balance your body and mind.
- Use your bed ONLY for sleep, rest and intimacy.
- Learn about sleep and how you can improve it.
- Choose to be around people who have a positive outlook.
- Learn about stress and stress management tips.
TIME MANAGEMENT – Plan daily steps to reach life dreams
- Determine how to spend your time based on your priorities.
- Use your planner or calendar to set times for your daily/weekly activities.
- Keep a manageable task (to-do) list.
- Each morning review what you need to do to accomplish your goals.
- Be realistic about what you can do within a given time.
- Plan extra time in your schedule for the unexpected things that will likely happen.
- Schedule time for fun, activity, meals, YOU!
- Do tough tasks now. It doesn’t get easier next week.
- Learn tips for effective time management.