Healthy Eating & Nutrition
Most (60.0%) ASU students are in a healthy weight range, based on calculations of their Body Mass Index (BMI)
- 97.3% of ASU students believe it is important to eat healthy daily
American College Health Association. American College Health Association - National College Health Assessment: Arizona State University. Spring 2011. Baltimore: American College Health Association; 2011 (n=1,748).
Components of Healthy Eating
Listen to your body
- Know your body's physiological hunger signals (lightheaded, headache, stomach growling), as opposed to psychological signals (social gatherings, emotional triggers, smelling food)
- Eat until you are content, not stuffed. Know when you have had enough. Remember that it takes about 20 minutes for your body to realize it is full.
Fits into your lifestyle
- Healthy eating is a lifestyle; make it a part of your everyday behavior.
Balance, variety, and moderation
- Include all the food groups to achieve balanced meals
- Choose and consume a variety of foods within each food group
- Know and eat appropriate portions of foods; nothing to extremes
- Don't deprive yourself of certain foods - just keep in mind portions!
Tips to develop healthy eating habits
- Schedule and plan regular meals and snacks.
- Eat until you feel content - take your time when you eat, and savor each bite.
- Incorporate into your daily eating: water, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, protein-rich foods, and beans/nuts/seeds.
- Take a daily multivitamin.
- Try some healthy snacks and recipes
- Notice the size and number of servings and the nutrient content of your food so that you know if you've achieved your nutrient goals.
- Read food labels and look at serving size, servings per container, nutrients and ingredients.
- Take note of your sensations of hunger and appetite and whether they vary in response to emotions, schedule, proximity to food, and external influences.
- Think of food as one part of life, not as the center of it. Don't over plan or overanalyze your meals; ENJOY YOUR HEALTHY EATING EXPERIENCE!
Healthy Eating & Nutrition Links
For more information about Healthy Eating & Nutrition, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.