Sign In / Sign Out
Navigation for Entire University
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges and Schools
- Map and Locations
ASU has released guidelines regarding ASU Community of Care protocols for in-person events and meetings in ASU venues. The guidelines are based on current public health recommendations, government policy, and Board and University policy. These guidelines are in effect until further notice.
Memorial Union Reservation Guidelines
Event and Meeting Services manages all meeting and event reservations for the Memorial Union, Student Pavilion, and dedicated portions of Cady, Orange, and Tyler Malls, Palm Walk, Student Services Lawn, and Sparky’s Den.
To provide assistance with the planning of an event and facilitate the reservation process these practices and procedures are designed to assist with defining responsibilities, management of resources, and providing for safe and orderly event planning and execution.
Room charges apply to Registered Student Organizations and Arizona State University departments only when there is a registration fee, admission charge, required donation or other type of fee charged to anyone attending the event, including sponsors and exhibitors. At least 60% of the attendees must be affiliated with ASU (current student, faculty or staff), another institution of higher education or on a K-12 educational institution sponsored visit or room charges apply. Room and equipment charges always apply to off-campus clients.
1. Campus Departments may book space two academic years in advance, student organizations may book for the following academic year once registered with the Student Organization Office, and Non-University Organizations may book within 60 days of the event date or one year out during times of academic breaks. Reservations for regularly scheduled, for credit courses will not be accepted.
2. Non-University Organizations that are affiliated with an ASU department or student organization may utilize the MU when school is in session by obtaining co-sponsorship. The ASU group must be the primary organizer of the event with a person assigned to coordinate event details, assume financial responsibility and have students, faculty, or staff participating in the event. They must also provide a letter from the department head, or organization president and advisor, stating how the event furthers the mission of the organization or of Arizona State University.
3. Student Organizations and ASU Departments may not reserve space for other organizations for the purpose of securing lower room rental rates and/or bypassing procedures. The organization or individual named on the reservation is the Client and is solely responsible for communicating with Event and Meeting Services and initiating, planning, implementing, attending and financing the event in coordination with Event and Meeting Services.
4. Non-University Organizations (NUOs) not co-sponsored by an ASU entity will, at their own expense, procure and maintain, during the term, a policy of commercial general liability insurance in an amount of not less than one million dollars, ($1,000,000) single limit, against claims for bodily injury, death and property damage occurring in connection with their use of the space. This insurance must name the Arizona Board of Regents, Arizona State University and the State of Arizona as additional insureds. NUOs must provide ASU with a certificate evidencing this coverage no later than 10 days prior to use of space. NUOs conducting a small luncheon or dinner catered by the MU’s contracted in-house caterer may be excluded from this requirement.
5. Clients may book a series meeting limited to one (1) room per week, up to four (4) consecutive hours, including any desired set-up time. Groups that run over their allotted time more than once per semester will be assessed the room charge for the appropriate category.
6. Ballrooms are not available for series reservations. Alumni Lounge and Pima auditorium are only available for series reservations Friday through Sunday, from 5 pm to 10 pm.
7. Room charges will be added to all reservations for conferences, cultural performances, tournaments, fundraisers and all events where a fee could potentially be charged to guests and/or recruiters/exhibitors. The room charges may be waived upon receipt of a program prior to the event date showing that there is no registration fee, ticket charge, required donation, or other payment to attend the event. At least 60% of the attendees must be affiliated with Arizona State University (current student, faculty or staff), another institution of higher education or on a K-12 educational institution sponsored visit or a room charge will apply. Clients must pre-sell tickets; ticket sales are not allowed at the door. The MU reserves the right to verify attendee affiliation by requesting copies of a registration list, guest list or by checking guest identification to ensure adherence to this policy.
8. Clients will be allowed to hold two (2) dates for the same event while in the planning process. Depending on the size of the room(s) and the demand for space, clients will be asked to release one date within the six (6) month period preceding the event.
9. The MU reserves the right to change location and/or cancel an event or meeting when necessary. Every effort will be made to notify the client in advance and to accommodate the client in an alternate location.
10. The MU does not accept reservations from any organization with outstanding payments due to ASU.
11. Student organizations hosting a major event will have additional requirements.
Conditions of use
12. In order to accommodate as many clients as possible, the MU reserves rooms based on maximum seating capabilities. A room charge will apply to reservations for rooms whose estimated attendance does not meet minimum requirements for room capacity. Room charges will be incurred for clients when event attendance does not utilize the room effectively.
13. Meeting rooms on the second floor of the MU are not designed to host events that need space for physical activities. (For yoga, quiet stretching, meditation and activities of that nature, the lower level meditation space may be used on a first come, first serve basis. https://eoss.asu.edu/mu/whats-in/interfaith-room)
14. A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the total rental is due 60 days in advance for Non-University Organizations.
15. Special events must register with the University by submitting the Event Registration Form. Additional permits may be required based on the event details submitted on this form. https://outreach.asu.edu/events/registration
16. MU building hours may be extended to accommodate events at a fee of $150 per hour with a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice and MU staff approval.
17. Rooms/spaces must be left clean, free of damage and in the set-up reserved. Clients are prohibited from moving or rearranging the furniture and will be assessed a fee if the set-up is changed. If damage occurs in a room and/or there is a loss of equipment, the responsible group/party will be assessed the full replacement/repair costs.
18. Any group leaving an excessive amount of materials or trash will be assessed a minimum fee of $50 for clean-up. This includes any pick-up/drop-off catering menu items.
19. The Gold Room and Union Stage are unique spaces that require the use of the existing rectangle tables and chairs.
20. Requests for changes to the regular set in Apache, Navajo, Pinal, Santa Cruz and Yuma will incur a $35 fee.
21. Charges will apply for changes to the room during the event, unusual room setups, extensive staging and other requests that incur additional labor. Fees will be determined based on cost of labor/time spent and/or extra equipment used.
22. The MU is designated a public venue. As such, all movies shown must have copyright approval.
23. Clients are responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable fire codes. Designated maximum capacity for any event will not be exceeded at any time. Exit aisles, staircases, fire alarm systems and emergency exits may not be blocked at any time.
Film, Photography & Videography
24. Filming (which includes photo, motion picture, video recording, or written or spoken statements) requires advance approval by ASU and must comply with the ASU’s Filming policy. Resources for ASU Filming and Photography can be found online: https://brandguide.asu.edu/requests/filming-and-photographyhttps://brandguide.asu.edu/requests/filming-and-photography
25. Whether to permit photography, visual recording, and/or audio recording in any ASU event space is at the discretion of the client, who may determine whether to permit recording at the event. ASU encourages clients who want to restrict recording at their event to post notice of this restriction outside of the event space where the notice can be clearly observed upon entrance as well as inside the event space and, where appropriate, to announce restrictions at the beginning of any event.
26. Current ASU students may request to film in the Memorial Union or Student Pavilion for class projects, but must request permission/approval prior to filming. Student Filming application and resources can be found online: https://brandguide.asu.edu/requests/filming-and-photography/student-filming-application-and-resources
27. Clients requesting a room for a rain back up prior to their event will be charged the room rental for the appropriate category, whether or not the room is used. Rooms held as a backup, cancelled 30 days prior will not be assessed a fee. Rooms requested day of the event as alternative rain locations will be assessed the appropriate labor charge to set the room.
28. Due to the high demand for space, requests for rehearsal times and client set-up are limited to four (4) hours at a time convenient to the operation of the MU. Requests for additional time will be reserved if available; a room charge will apply.
29. The MU has an in-house catering service. No other off-site companies may cater in the building. All catering must be set up inside the reserved space. Food buffets are not permitted in the hallways. https://sundevildining.asu.edu/catering
30. An alcohol permit is required to serve alcohol on campus. The forms are available on the ASU Police website, https://cfo.asu.edu/police-forms and must be submitted to the Director of the Memorial Union at least 3 weeks prior to the event. Cash bars and off-campus events with charges will not be approved.
31. To maintain audio quality in all reservable spaces, the capacity of the room will dictate how many microphones are allotted per space. Any additional microphones outside of what we are able to provide, must be coordinated with another ASU department or third party technical support. For specific information on individual spaces, please work with your event coordinator.
32. Memorial Union built-in audio systems only accommodate the following uses; speech, presentation audio, video playback and background music. Any usage outside of what is listed, such as a DJ or live performance, will require audio equipment that is supplied by another ASU department or third party technical support. All audio in the meeting rooms, regardless of source, must stay at or below the acceptable sound level as determined by the Building Manager (roughly 70 dB or below).
33. Groups requesting storage of materials prior to an event will be charged a fee of $4/box each day they are stored within the MU. Groups storing more than a few items will be required to reserve a room if available and pay the appropriate room charge. The MU cannot accept drop and go shipments; delivery companies must deliver to the reserved room. The MU does not facilitate outgoing shipments. Clients hosting events with a large volume of shipments may be required to work with ASU Mail Services or an off-campus expo company.
34. Clients needing to unload items at the Memorial Union loading dock may check out a dock pass at the Information Desk for a 30-minute load in and load out. Arrangements for visitor parking in campus structures or lots must be made with Parking and Transit Services, (480) 965-6406. The MU does not have any control of the parking availability or charges. The MU does not validate parking.
35. Signage and décor must be free standing or placed on tabletops. Items are not permitted to be taped or attached to any walls, windows, doors etc. of the room/building. Post-it style, self-adhesive note pad paper may be used on the blank walls inside the meeting rooms. Limited signage may be placed in areas pre-approved by MU staff and must stand on its own or be placed on an approved sign holder.
36. The use of glitter, confetti and lit candles are prohibited in the MU.
37. Displays, sales, exhibits, vendor information and other activity may take place inside meeting rooms only, for the duration of the event.
38. Balloons are permitted if they are permanently affixed to a display/mount. The client is responsible for removing and disposing of all balloons after an event. If helium balloons are released for any reason within the facility, labor costs associated with the removal of the balloons will be charged to the client.
39. Thirty days’ notice is required for cancellation of reservations for the Arizona Ballroom, Ventana Ballroom, Turquoise Ballroom or Alumni Lounge. Cancellations received after that time will be subject to a percentage fee of the applicable category room charge as follows: 15 to 30 days-50%, 8 to 14 days-75%, 0 to 7 days-100%.
40. Two (2) weeks’ notice is required for cancellation of reservations in the following rooms; Cochise, Coconino, Gila, Gold, Graham, La Paz, Mohave, Pima, Union Stage and any individual section of the Ventana Ballroom. Cancellations received after that time will be subject to a $50.00 late cancellation fee.
41. Three (3) full working days’ notice is required for cancellation of reservations in rooms that seat 30 people or less. Cancellations received after that time will be subject to a $30 late cancellation fee.
42. No shows and underutilization of room capacities are subject to a full room charge of the applicable rate category.
43. Clients with reservations for three (3) or more meeting rooms on the same date that cancel less than two (2) weeks out will be assessed a $50 fee per room.
44. A minimum of three (3) full working days’ notice is required for booking rooms. Reservations made for rooms that seat 30 people or less will be charged a $30 late fee per request. Reservations for rooms that seat more than 30 people will be charged a $50 late fee per request. Additional charges may apply for ballrooms.
45. Any requests for equipment and/or setup changes made to existing reservations with less full working days’ notice will be charged a minimum of $30.00 per request. Details for large, elaborate or unusual sets must be received a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the event date in order to be accommodated.
46. Any major change or cancellation to a series reservation will be assessed a $30 fee.