Sign In / Sign Out
Navigation for Entire University
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges and Schools
- Map and Locations
Room charges apply to registered student organizations and Arizona State University departments only when there is a registration fee, admission charge, required donation or other type of fee charged to anyone attending the event or when 50% of the attendees are not affiliated with ASU, another institution of higher education or a P-12 educational institution sponsored visit. Room and equipment charges always apply to off-campus clients. (Please note rate changes for 2019)
1. Academic Departments may book space two (2) academic years in advance; student organizations may
book for the following academic year once registered with the Student Organization Support Office and
off campus clients may book one (1) year in advance (limited to times of academic breaks, any Friday,
Saturday, Sunday or within 8 weeks of the requested date). Reservations for regularly scheduled,
credited courses will not be accepted.
2. Off campus groups that are affiliated with an on-campus department or student organization may utilize
the MU when school is in session by obtaining co-sponsorship. By co-sponsoring the event the
department or organization assumes responsibility for any financial obligations from the event. A letter
is required from the department head or organization president and advisor stating how the event
furthers the mission of the organization and/or Arizona State University. At least one member of the
department or organization must be in attendance at the event.
3. Third party clients not co-sponsored by an ASU entity will be required to supply a certificate of insurance
and endorsement with the coverage amounts specified by ASU insurance department. 3rd party clients
conducting a luncheon or dinner catered by the MU’s contracted in house caterer may be excluded from
4. Clients may book a series meeting limited to one (1) room per week, up to four (4) hours, including any
set-up time. Groups that run over their allotted time more than once per semester will be assessed the
room charge for the appropriate category.
5. Ballrooms are not available for series reservations and the Alumni Lounge and Pima auditorium are only
available for series reservations Friday through Sunday, 5pm to 10 pm.
6. Room charges will be added to all reservations for conferences, cultural performances, tournaments,
fundraisers and all events where a fee could potentially be charged to guests and or recruiters/exhibitors.
The room charges may be waived upon receipt of a program prior to the event date showing that there is
no registration fee, ticket charge, required donation, or other payment to attend the event. Room charges
also apply to all events where 50% or more of attendees are not affiliated with Arizona State University,
another institution of higher education or a P-12 educational institution sponsored visit. Clients must
pre-sell tickets; ticket sales are not allowed at the door. The MU reserves the right to verify attendee
affiliation by requesting copies of registration list, guest list or by checking guest identification to ensure
adherence to this policy.
7. Clients will be allowed to hold two (2) dates for the same event while in the planning process.
Depending on the size of the room(s) and the demand for space, clients will be asked to release one date
within the six (6) month period preceding the event.
8. The MU reserves the right to change location and/or cancel an event or meeting when necessary. Every
effort will be made to notify the client in advance and to accommodate the client in an alternate location.
9. The MU does not accept reservations from any organization with outstanding payments due to ASU.
10. Student organizations interested in a special event/dance in the MU should contact the Student
Organization Support Office (SOS) or visit asu.edu/clubs for guidelines and procedures.
11. In order to accommodate as many clients as possible the MU books rooms based on the maximum
seating capacity. A room charge will apply to reservations for rooms that are larger than estimated
attendance requires. The MU reserves the right to assess a room charge to clients whose estimated
attendance does not utilize the room effectively, whose count drops below the requested room size, or fails to show for the reservation.
12. Clients holding large events or events that require a large, detailed or unusual set will be required to
meet with a member of the MU staff a minimum of two weeks prior to the event to ensure clients are
aware of all policies for use of space. At least one person who will be responsible for and at the event
will need to attend.
13. Meeting rooms on the second floor of the MU are not designed to host events that need space for
14. A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the total rental is due 30 days in advance for ASU affiliated groups
and 60 days in advance for off campus groups.
15. Special events need to register with the University by submitting the Event Registration Form.
Additional permits may be required based on the event details submitted on this form.
16. MU building hours may be extended to accommodate events at a fee of $150 per hour with a minimum of 2 weeks notice and MU staff approval.
17. Rooms/spaces must be left clean, free of damage and in the set-up reserved. Clients are prohibited from
re-arranging the furniture and will be assessed a fee if the set-up is changed. If damage occurs in a room
and/or there is a loss of equipment, the responsible group/party will be assessed a fee reflective of the
cost for replacement/repair.
18. Any group leaving an excessive amount of materials or trash will be assessed a minimum fee of $50 for
clean-up. This includes any pick-up/drop-off catering menu items.
19. Set-ups in the Gold Room and Union Stage must use the existing rectangle tables.
20. Requests for changes to the regular set in Apache, Navajo, Pinal, Santa Cruz and Yuma will incur a $35
21. Charges will apply for changes to the room during the event, unusual room set ups, extensive staging
and other requests that incur additional labor.
22. The MU is designated a public venue. As such, all movies shown must have copyright approval.
23. Clients requesting a room for a rain back up prior to their event will be charged the room rental for the
appropriate category, whether or not the room is used. Rooms held as back up, cancelled 30 days prior
will not be assessed a fee. Rooms requested day of the event as alternative rain locations will be
assessed the appropriate labor charge to set the room.
24. Due to the high demand for space, requests for rehearsal times and client set-up are limited to 4 hours at
a time convenient to the operation of the MU. Requests for additional time will be reserved if available
for 50-100% of the room charge based on amount of time requested.
25. The MU has an in-house catering service. No other off-site companies may cater in the building. All
catering must be set up inside the reserved space. Food buffets are not permitted in the hallways.
26. An alcohol permit is required to serve alcohol on campus. The forms are available on the ASU Police
website, https://cfo.asu.edu/police-forms and must be submitted to the Director of the Memorial Union
at least 2 weeks prior to the event.
27. To effectively manage the sound quality in the meeting rooms, microphone use is limited to 2 wireless
mics in rooms with a capacity of 60 or more. Arizona, Alumni, Turquoise and Pima have potential for
up to 6 mics including the one attached to the podium. Clients requiring a more elaborate set-up or
technical support should consult with another ASU department or hire an outside company to support
their event. Microphones are not available for rooms that seat under 60 people.
28. Memorial Union provided audio equipment may only be used in conjunction with devices that have
stereo, mono, or RCA outputs. Included in this list are laptops and video players with HDMI outputs.
Any additional connections or audio needs must be provided by the client or a 3rd party and would not
be authorized to connect to the MU audio systems. Audio equipment being supplied by the client or 3rd
party must stay at or below the acceptable sound level as determined by the Building Manager (roughly
70 decibels or below)
29. Groups requesting storage of materials prior to an event will be charged a fee of $4/box each day that
they are stored within the MU. Groups storing more than a few items will be required to reserve a room
if available and pay the appropriate room charge. The MU cannot accept drop and go shipments;
delivery companies must deliver to the reserved room. The MU does not facilitate outgoing shipments.
Clients hosting events with a large volume of shipments may be required to work with ASU Mail
Services or an off campus expo company.
30. Clients needing to unload items at the loading dock may check out a dock pass at the MU information
desk for a 30-minute load in and load out. Arrangements for visitor parking in campus structures or lots
must be made with Parking and Transit Services, (480)965-6406. The MU does not have any control of
the parking availability or charges.
31. Signage and décor must be free standing or placed on tabletops. Items are not permitted to be taped or
attached to any walls, windows, doors etc. of the room/building. Post-it style, self-adhesive note pad
paper may be used on the blank walls inside the meeting rooms. Limited signage may be placed in
areas pre-approved by MU staff and must stand on its own or be placed on an approved sign holder.
32. The use of glitter, confetti and lit candles are prohibited in the MU.
33. Displays, sales, exhibits, vendor information and other activity may take place inside meeting rooms
only, for the duration of the event.
34. 30 days notice is required for cancellation of reservations for the Arizona Ballroom, Ventana Ballroom, Turquoise Ballroom or Alumni lounge. Cancellations received after that time and no shows will be subject to a percentage fee of the applicable category room charge as follows: 15 to 30 days-50%, 8 to 14 days-75%, 0 to 7 days 100%.
35. Two weeks notice is required for cancellation of reservations in the following rooms; Cochise, Gold,
Pima, Mohave, La Paz and Union Stage and any individual section of the Ventana Ballroom.
Cancellations received after that time will be subject to a $50.00 late cancellation fee.
36. Two full working days notice is required for cancellation of reservations in rooms that seat 40 people or less. Cancellations received after that time and no shows will be subject to a $50 late
37. Clients with reservations for 3 or more rooms on the same date that cancel less than two weeks out will
be assessed a fee equal to 50% of the applicable category room charge.
38. All requests for rooms, equipment and/or set-up made with less than three (3) full working days will be charged a $30.00 fee per request.
39. Any major change or cancellation to a series reservation will be assessed a $25 fee.