International Student Guide: F-1/J-1 Visa & SS Number

International Student Guide: F-1/J-1 Visa & Social Security Number

Visas and Social Security Numbers

Various documents are required for international students to study, work and live in the United States, and may include one or any combination of an F-1 visa, J-1 visa and/or a Social Security Number. Find out what you need.

F-1 or J-1 Visa

As a participant in the U.S. Student and Exchange Visitor Program at ASU, you are under an agreement to follow certain terms and conditions to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status in the United States.

The International Students and Scholars Center can help you understand the terms and conditions of your stay in the U.S. and make sure you properly maintain your F-1 Visa or J-1 Visa.

Social Security Number

F-1 and J-1 students that have secured an on-campus job are eligible to apply for a Social Security Number. The ISSC and federal government have more information regarding the requirements to apply for a SSN.